F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 23:57:31 UTC 2009

M. Fioretti wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My motherboard, on which I was running F9 x86_64 off one SATA drive, died.
> I bought a new motherboard with a new cpu of the same type (AMD) and
> connected the hard disk with F9 to it. Now Grub does start with these
>
> kernel/vmlinuz/-2.6.27-etc ro root=/dev/sda3 rhgb mem=2048M enforcing 0
>
> but the process stops at a certain point, saying:
>
> Trying to resume from /dev/sda2
> Unable to access resume device (/dev/sda2)
> Creating root device
> Mounting root filesystem
> Mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: no such file or
> directory
>

> IIRC I had these partitions:
>
> /boot /dev/sda1
> swap /dev/sda2
> /    /dev/sda3
> /home /sda5
>

> So (also from some research I made before posting) this means that on the
> new board the kernel cannot find the swap anymore, but why? I mean, if it
> boots, as it does, it means that it has found the device corresponding to
> the hard drive, isn't it?

It means that *grub* has found the device using *bios* calls.   Linux
does not use *bios* calls.  And Linux is not find *any* partitions at
all, even the boot one.   Grub through bios calls loads vmlinuz and
initrd into memory and then starts it up, which will find through
Linux drivers everything needed to actually boot.

The base problem is the new MB likely has a *different* sata device
controlling the drives, and the driver for that is not in the initrd
used to boot Linux, so Linux cannot find any disk devices.

The typical fix is to boot a rescue, figure out from the rescue what
driver is needed and update modprobe.conf and rebuilt the initial ram
disk with that driver, and try again.

You won't be able to fix it through grub, you may be able to change MB
settings and change drivers needed for the disk (often sata ports can
do either IDE or ahci--each of which uses a different driver--that
*maybe* the old mb used).