F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jan 18 00:17:22 UTC 2009

M. Fioretti wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My motherboard, on which I was running F9 x86_64 off one SATA drive, died.
> I bought a new motherboard with a new cpu of the same type (AMD) and
> connected the hard disk with F9 to it. Now Grub does start with these
>
> kernel/vmlinuz/-2.6.27-etc ro root=/dev/sda3 rhgb mem=2048M enforcing 0
>
> but the process stops at a certain point, saying:
>
> Trying to resume from /dev/sda2
> Unable to access resume device (/dev/sda2)
> Creating root device
> Mounting root filesystem
> Mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: no such file or
> directory
>

> IIRC I had these partitions:
>
> /boot /dev/sda1
> swap /dev/sda2
> /    /dev/sda3
> /home /sda5
>

> So (also from some research I made before posting) this means that on the
> new board the kernel cannot find the swap anymore, but why? I mean, if it
> boots, as it does, it means that it has found the device corresponding to
> the hard drive, isn't it?

Different SATA controller, needing a different driver is my guess.

> How do I help grub to find the swap partition on the hd? (I need to go via
> grub cause I cannot run a live CD here, there's no CD/DVD reader available
> and no possibility to burn a live linux on usb keys :-( )

This is not Grub complaining - the kernel is not finding them.

> By the way, the motherboard is an ASUS M3N78-EM with the drive connected
> to the SATA1 connector. No other hard or optical drives are present.
> Connecting the hd to SATA2 or 3 doesn't change anything, moving on sata5
> or 6 doesn't boot at all.

I am not sure how to fix this, unless you can boot from a USB drive.
It looks like the problem is that the new motherboard uses a
different SATA controller. So the driver you need is not in your
initrd. You need to rebuild it. The normal method is to boot from
the install CD/DVD, chroot to where / is mounted, and run mkinitrd.
But in this case, you are going to have to find another way to boot
into the rescue mode.

Mikkel