Fedora 10 winbindd core dump

Peter J. Stieber developer at toyon.com
Fri Jan 23 01:03:52 UTC 2009

PS = Pete Stieber
PS>> I'm trying to use samba with Windows domain
PS>> authentication on a Fedora 10 x86_64 box
PS>> (2.6.27.9-159.fc10.x86_64).  I'm getting
PS>> core dumps from winbindd.  There are other
PS>> entries in messages that make me wonder if I
PS>> have samba setup properly...
PS>>
PS>> Jan 18 12:13:20 maggie winbindd[9065]: [2009/01/18 12:13:20,  0]
PS>> winbindd/idmap.c:idmap_alloc_init(823)
PS>> Jan 18 12:13:20 maggie winbindd[9065]:   ERROR: Initialization failed
PS>> for alloc backend, deferred!
PS>>
PS>> I posted a bugzilla report to samba, but I was
PS>> wondering if someone here could help.

CW = Craig White
CW> not knowing what is in /etc/samba/smb.conf and
CW> only considering the errors above, I would have
CW> to guess that you need an idmap statement so
CW> that - and again, I am speculating, you have some
CW> other windows domain controller that is providing
CW> the account information (login name/password) but

That is correct.

CW> they have to mapped to an id and to a local 'home'
CW> directory.

I'm not sure what this means.  Sorry for my ignorance.

CW> if you look at the man page for smb.conf and go to
CW> the part where it starts covering idmap, your
CW> answers are probably there but again, without seeing
CW> your smb.conf, I can only guess.
CW>
CW> man smb.conf
CW> and once in the man page, type
CW> /idmap
CW>
CW> it will take you there.
CW>
CW> and if you decide to ask more, probably a good idea to
CW> run the command 'testparm -s > /tmp/samba.conf' and show
CW> us the ouput of /tmp/samba.conf

Even if I have a configuration problem, I shouldn't expect the core dump
should I?

Here's the result of 'testparm -s'...

Processing section "[IsrAlgorithmData]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
These may not be accessible to some older clients.
(Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
[global]
	workgroup = TOYON
	server string = Samba Server Version %v
	interfaces = lo, eth1
	security = DOMAIN
	username map = /etc/samba/DomainToLocalMapping.txt
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	idmap domains = TOYON
	idmap alloc backend = tdb
	idmap alloc config:range = 5000-9999
	idmap config TOYON:range = 10000-300000000
	idmap config TOYON:readonly = yes
	idmap config TOYON:backend = ad
	hosts allow = 127., 172.16.1., 172.17.0., 172.21.0., 192.168.120.,
192.168.110.

[IsrAlgorithmData]
	comment = ISR Algorithm Data
	path = /media/bigdisk
	valid users = +users
	read only = No
	create mask = 0770
	force create mode = 060
	directory mask = 0770
	force directory mode = 060
	guest ok = Yes

Am I "missing an idmap configuration option that maps the other windows
domain controller that is providing the account information (login
name/password) to a local 'home' directory."

Thanks for the help Craig,
Pete