SataRaid and Installation

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Fri Jan 23 17:10:43 UTC 2009

Chris Linville wrote:
> Not sure if this is the right list, but maybe someone will see this.
>
> I started out my computer experience as a DOS users a long time ago.
> Then on to windows and about 8 years ago I started using Linux to get
> ahead and to see what it could do.  Over the years it has grown on
> me.  I have used several distributions, but once Fedora came out I
> really stuck with it.
>
> I got to say that I have been greatly disappointed by Fedora for the
> last 2 releases.  I have a rockin system.  I can play any game out
> there, I love.  I just can't install Fedora with out sacrificing my
> system speed.  For 2 releases dmraid has been broken.  The fix is for
> me to stop using Sata RAID0.  This is not a good fix, my disk IO
> doubles by having this.  I have seen posts all over the boards and
> bugzilla relating to various problems in DMRaid.  Yet for 2 releases,
> it has stayed broken.  To me this is a show stopper when you can't
> even install an OS.
>
> At a time when Linux can break through and get some number away from
> Microsoft you would think that a error free installation would be a
> top priority for the Fedora team.  I am greatly dissapointed that such
> a widely known problem has been ignored by this team.
>
> Dissapointed and Let Down,
> Chris
Unfortunately, this is one of the many side affects of relying on
software to do Raid. In the past I have seen bad SATA RAID setups in
most systems when done in sofware. I have three systems that run RAID
(level 5) hardware, so I haven't had the need to use DMRaid, and never
had a problem between any of the O/s's I have played with (and/or broken
horribly) so this is all based on the Fedora installment of DMraid. Best
way to get this fixed is to build it yourself, and see what the solution
would be, based on errors you have seen. That is one of the biggest
things with a community O/s. A few places do paid support, and will
attempted to dedicate resources to your issue, and release a big patch,
but with this being a bleeding edge distro, it is best to fix it
yourself, then offer a solution, otherwise it may not be fixed, or take
forever to get it fixed.

On the other hand, I know the issues with having a good system and being
stuck with Windows.... Though it isn't all doom and gloom for me. It is
hardware for me, since the system just flat refuses to load linux (I get
it to uncompress the boot loader, and start working on vmlinuz, where it
eventually stops, and never starts again until reboot, where the same
thing happens again and again) though I am sure this is purely the brand
of motherboard I have, I am just too lazy and computers are too cheap
for me to spend time fighting to have  a dual boot on my gaming system.

~Seann