How to fix fstab on bootup - forgot to comment out a line

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 19:56:12 UTC 2009

Chris Snook wrote:
> Dan Track wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I forgot to comment out a line in /etc/fstab, now when my machine
>>  boots up it keeps dropping to a filesystem check and asks for
>> teh root password. My question is how can I get to edit the
>> /etc/fstab file on bootup or via grub?
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> Thanks Dan
>>

> 1) at the grub prompt, hit 'a' to append options 2) add
> 'init=/bin/bash' to the kernel command line

Why bother when the distribution initscripts will take care of this
and drop you to a nice root shell (which has working job control and
everything and won't panic the box if you accidentally hit ctrl-d or
something :)?

Bryn.

> 3) mount -o remount,rw /

I could have sworn I used to have to add '-n' to suppress /etc/mtab
updates, but I haven't tried in a while...