Mounting UFS partition

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Jan 28 18:54:35 UTC 2009

Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to mount an UFS partition from a FreeBSD 7.1 system, but
> I'm getting this error:
>
> kernel: ufs_read_super: bad magic number
>
> I'm using this to mount the fs:
>
> mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd -o ro /dev/sda4 /mnt/FreeBSD/

Did you (a) check that the ufs module is loaded even if you get a ufs error, and
(b) leave off the option or try others?

I burn ufs DVDs all the time, rather than non-standard iso9660 formats, and they
have always mounted w/o options, as have ufs ZIP media I used for a project with
OpenBSD four years ago.

> Can't I mount the partition?

You just got all the ideas I have.

--