Need second opinion, is my HD failing?

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 11:11:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr at redhat.com> wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 28 January 2009, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>>> I've been having some quirky issues lately and decided to take a
>>> look at the SMART data for the disk. There seems to be a large
>>> count of errors in some of the categories.
>>>
>>> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION === SMART Attributes Data
>>> Structure revision number: 10 Vendor Specific SMART Attributes
>>> with Thresholds: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST
>>> THRESH TYPE UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate
>>> 0x000f   087   086   006    Pre-fail Always       -
>>> 13453278
>>>
>> Maybe.
>>
>>> 3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   095   094   000    Pre-fail Always
>>>   -       0 4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100
>>> 100   020    Old_age Always       -       45 5
>>> Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail Always
>>> -       955
>>>
>> It has to be about out of spare sectors, I haven't ever seen one
>> that high. This is your wake up call I believe.
>>

> That's a good result, not bad; those number count downwards.. that's
> why the threshold is lower than the current or worst value.
>
> See the manual page for smartctl for more information on interpreting
> the output of the tool:
>
> "Each Attribute also has a Threshold value (whose range is  0  to
> 255)  which  is printed under the heading "THRESH".  If the Nor-
> malized value is less than or equal to the Threshold value, then
> the  Attribute  is  said  to have failed.  If the Attribute is a
> pre-failure Attribute, then disk failure is imminent."

Not reallocated sectors.  I new disk has "zero" reallocated sectors.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED
WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   109   093   006    Pre-fail
Always       -       198961952
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   093   093   000    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age
Always       -       9
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   076   060   030    Pre-fail
Always       -       45261344
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age
Always       -       964

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ