Unrecognized Hard Drive

Jorge Luis lists at jorge.cc
Thu Jan 1 18:01:28 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> Jorge Luis wrote:
> > I have a 200 MiB Maxtor HD that isn't being seen by the OS.  I have it plugged
> > into the system through an EIDE/USB converter hub.  It appears that the drive
> > isn't recognized, but the hub device is.
> >
> It would be handy to see the messages in /var/log/messages when you
> plug the drive in. It would also help to know more about the
> EIDE/USB converter. Does it have its own power supply, or is it bus
> powered? Has it worked on any other machine?
>
> If possible, power up the drive and let it spin up before plugging
> in the converter.

See my previous message regarding kernel messages.

The converter has a brick power supply that provides power to IDE drives.
Separately, the converter hub is a USB 2.0 interface with two USB connectors.
One of them provides bus power to SATA drives; the other USB plug is a
straight-through connector that communicates with the hard drive that's
plugged into the hub.

You can see one of these adapters at:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_pc?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=coolmax+ide+sata&x=0&y=0

Thanks for your help.