Yet More Yum Woe

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 18:22:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 23:32:57 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
>
>> It will probably do you or anyone who upgrades a system to run
>> `package-cleanup --orphans' to find old packages no longer resident in
>> enabled repositories.
>
>        OK : On machine #1, Hbsk2, I get :
>
> [root at Hbsk2 ~]# package-cleanup --orphans
> Setting up yum
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386
> gmime-2.2.21-2.fc9.i386
> gnome-packagekit-0.3.12-3.fc9.i386
> kernel-2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686
> kernel-2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686
> kernel-devel-2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686
> kernel-devel-2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686
> kmenu-gnome-0.8-1.fc9.noarch
> mono-addins-0.3.1-3.fc9.i386
> opera-9.63-2474.gcc4.shared.qt3.i386
> setroubleshoot-2.0.12-4.fc9.noarch
> setroubleshoot-server-2.0.12-4.fc9.noarch
> xorg-x11-drv-evdev-2.0.8-1.fc9.i386
> [root at Hbsk2 ~]#
>
>        On the one that had the yum woes, #2, Hbsk (which #1 mostly
> replaces, and which is therefore Prime Backup) I get a similar result :
>
> [root at Hbsk ~]# package-cleanup --orphans
> Setting up yum
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, fedorakmod, kernel-module, refresh-
> packagekit
>  * livna: rpm.livna.org
>  * fedora: fedora.mirrors.tds.net
>  * rpmfusion-free-updates: astromirror.uchicago.edu
>  * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: astromirror.uchicago.edu
>  * rpmfusion-free: astromirror.uchicago.edu
>  * updates: fedora.mirrors.tds.net
>  * rpmfusion-nonfree: astromirror.uchicago.edu
> akode-2.0.2-5.fc9.i386
> akode-pulseaudio-2.0.2-5.fc9.i386
> fedorainfinity-kdm-theme-1.0.4-1.fc8.noarch
> flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release.i386
> gnome-spell-1.0.8-5.fc9.i386
> kdebindings-dcopperl-3.5.9-1.fc8.i386
> kernel-2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686
> kernel-devel-2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686
> kleansweep-0.2.9-8.fc9.i386
> kmenu-gnome-0.8-1.fc9.noarch
> libflashsupport-000-0.5.svn20070904.i386
> opera-9.63-2474.gcc4.shared.qt3.i386
> setroubleshoot-2.0.12-4.fc9.noarch
> setroubleshoot-server-2.0.12-4.fc9.noarch
> system-config-soundcard-2.0.6-11.fc8.noarch
> xorg-x11-drv-cyrix-1.1.0-5.fc8.i386
> xorg-x11-drv-nsc-2.8.1-4.fc8.i386
> xorg-x11-drv-via-0.2.2-4.fc8.i386
> xorg-x11-fonts-truetype-7.2-3.fc8.noarch
> [root at Hbsk ~]#
>
>        Very Dumb Question : Are these lists telling me what *has been*
> removed? Or what I *may wish to* remove, or ...? IOW, am I done??
>
> --
> Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
> Remember I know precious little of what I am talking about.

Before you manually remove any of the packages listed run "yum
upgrade" again. "package-cleanup --orphans" is really a dumb utility.
It only tells you that the package is no longer in a active
repository. The listed package(s) may have been obsoleted due to a
pending update.
 Packages listed may also include those you installed from outside of
the repository system, e.g. Opera,  Adobe Flashplayer or other third
party rpm package.