Network changing from eth0 to eth1

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Jan 1 23:23:07 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Nat Gross wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
>>> If you are looking in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for ifcfg-eth0,
>>> and not finding it, they you are probably using NetworkManager to
>>> manage the interface. You may have to configure it again. (If you
>>> looked in the wrong place, make sure ifcfg-eth0 has "ONBOOT=yes".)
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>> --
>> I don't have any file that begins with ifcfg in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
>> I took another look at the "services" gui and am not running
>> NetworkManager and I am running 'network'. And now I notice that in
>> the "status" area it sais (when network is highlighted):
>> --------------------------
>> ls: cannot access ifcfg*. No such file or directory.
>> Configured devices:
>> lo
>> Currently active devices:
>> lo eth0
>> --------------------------
>> Any clues?
>> Thanks;
>> nat
>>
> Definitely strange - At the very least, you should have ifcfg-lo!
>
> If you are using hte network service and DHCP, ifcfg-eth0 should
> look something like this:
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> ONBOOT=yes
> HWADDR=<MAC address>
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=<something>
> TYPE=Ethernet
> IPV6INIT=no
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> USERCTL=no
>
> You don't need all of this - you could get by with:
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> ONBOOT=yes
> NM_CONTROLLED=no

I really suggest using the MAC field, it prevents learning about Plauger's Law
(law of least astonishment) the hard way... Of course the O.P. was using the MAC
field (I suspect) and didn't know it.

> You should also be able to create it using system-config-network.

Indeed. And I believe that should be part of the default install again.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>