Network changing from eth0 to eth1

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jan 2 00:43:14 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>> If you are using the network service and DHCP, ifcfg-eth0 should
>>> look something like this:
>>>
>>> DEVICE=eth0
>>> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>>> ONBOOT=yes
>>> HWADDR=<MAC address>
>>> DHCP_HOSTNAME=<something>
>>> TYPE=Ethernet
>>> IPV6INIT=no
>>> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>>> USERCTL=no
>>>
>>> You don't need all of this - you could get by with:
>>>
>>> DEVICE=eth0
>>> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>>> ONBOOT=yes
>>> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>>>
>> I really suggest using the MAC field, it prevents learning about
>> Plauger's Law (law of least astonishment) the hard way... Of course the
>> O.P. was using the MAC field (I suspect) and didn't know it.
>>
>>> You should also be able to create it using system-config-network.
>>>
>> Indeed. And I believe that should be part of the default install again.
>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>
> With /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, you are probably not
> going to run into it if you do not use HWADDR in ifcfg-eth? On the
> other hand, I do tend to use something like the first example I gave
> - you don't need to, but it can prevent surprises.

There are valid arguments both ways, as long as you have only one NIC. After
that you really want to have them called by the same names.  ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>