F10: new kernel breaks audio (snd-hda-intel)

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 18:51:41 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 6:19 AM, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Endy <endy at digitalgrotto.net> wrote:
>
>> stan wrote:

>>> I didn't have exactly that problem with the 159 kernel.  I was able to
>>> play sound but it was slowed down by about 1/3 to 1/2.  I couldn't find a
>>> reason, and wasn't sure it was the kernel, but when I, like you, reverted to
>>> the 134 kernel sound began working just fine.  I don't use pulseaudio.
>>>
>>> The 159 kernel seemed to work fine other than that.
>>>
>>>  I can report another issue with the snd-hda-intel driver....I am using a
>> Dell Vostro 1400 laptop and using the 159 kernel the lineout does not work.
>>  If the speakers are plugged in, there is no sound whatsoever and I checked
>> every possible mixer setting.  Unplugging the cable to the speakers,
>> however, results in sound coming out of the laptop speakers after a
>> noticeable pause.  Reverting back to the 134 kernel, these issues go away.

> I also have the Dell Vostro 1400. This is fixed in the latest tarball.
>
> However, this laptop also has some other issues:
>

> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-December/013570.html

Here is the 29/12/2008 alsa snapshot packaged for the latest F10 kernel:

http://dl.atrpms.net/f10-x86_64/atrpms/bleeding/alsa-kmdl-2.6.27.9-159.fc10-1.0.18a.snap-74.fc10.x86_64.rpm

http://dl.atrpms.net/f10-i386/atrpms/bleeding/alsa-kmdl-2.6.27.9-159.fc10-1.0.18a.snap-74.fc10.i686.rpm

One just need to install the rpm for the appropriate architecture and
reboot. It is working for me just fine, and fixed most of my problems.
Remember to adjust the volumes using any mixer
available.

To go back to the original kernel drivers, just uninstall the rpm, and
reboot again.

I hope these rpms can help some people.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti