X locks up after a random time

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 01:07:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.co.yu>wrote:

> Ok, this is a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo U9200, with Intel graphics, F10
> 64bit,
> updated last week. KDE desktop, compiz and all, but I believe it is not
> related.
>
> The symptom: system boots up regularly, I do regular work, and after a
> random
> amount of time, X freezes. If compiz is on, all I can do is move the mouse
> pointer. If compiz is off, even the mouse pointer is frozen. The OS itself
> is
> not, I can ssh from a remote machine and read logs. This is not
> reproducible,
> it happens too randomly and I can only sit and wait for it to happen.
> However, it is extremely annoying, since it has a tendency to freeze when
> I'm
> in the middle of some work in progress.

I have a similar problem on my desktop computer with an Intel card, but
only if "Desktop Effects" are on. It does not matter if it is gnome or KDE.
Otherwise, the system is pretty stable.

But the symptoms are the same. The computer is alive, can be accessed
remotely,
but X is dead. In my case, with compiz on, the freezing is fast, less than
10 min after
activation.

You can try using

Option      "AccelMethod" "XAA"

in your xorg.conf to see if there is any difference (I have never tried).

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ