X locks up after a random time

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 11:14:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 03 January 2009 01:36:01 Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > > Ok, this is a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo U9200, with Intel graphics, F10
> > > 64bit, updated last week. KDE desktop, compiz and all, but I believe it
> > > is not related.
> >
> > Interesting, I'd noticed the same thing over the past few days... hmm
> (Dell
> > Latitude D620 here).
> >
> > In the meantime, I've tried backing down to using
> kernel-2.6.27.7-134.fc10
> > (from kernel-2.6.27.9-159.fc10) to see if that makes any difference.
> >
> This Mandriva laptop has a variation on that.  With Desktop Effects on I
> get
> random freezes, but I also get times when the mouse can move the cursor
> around, but neither mouse-clicks or keyboard usage is registered.  This has
> happened throughout, so I don't think that it's kernel-specific, but I do
> think that it is probably related to what you are both seeing.

I was using kernel 134 until yesterday. Therefore it is not because of
kernel159.

The problem is the new Intel acceleration method that is being used
by  F10/X (EXA).

In fact, I just wanted a transparent terminal in KDE. I do not need all the
"Desktop Effects" stuff.

I also notice, when I use mplayer with the SLD driver, the video (I mean a
movie) stops all the time. Then I changed to opengl, and the window gets
garbaged when maximizing/minimizing. Using the ol' good Xv is the only
option that works fine for me.

For the first time in my life I am not using a nvidia card with the closed
driver. I think I am just being unlucky. If a fix does not come soon, I will
install one of my nvidia 7600 or 8500 cards, and forget about the Intel
onboard card graphics once for all.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ