Help... Can't boot!

Stuart stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Jan 3 11:18:27 UTC 2009

On 03/01/09 11:10, John Aldrich wrote:
> I was using Fedora Core 6, just fine, but decided since it was so out of
> date, that I'd upgrade to Fedora 10. Now, for some reason, it won't
> boot. It keeps saying "Unknown Partition Type 0x5".

At which point does it say that?
Do you get as far as the grub menu?

Partition type 0x5 is an 'Extended' partition. (/dev/sda4 or equivalent,
usually) - this suggests to me that your grub.conf is incorrect,
probably containing a line similar to
root (hd0,3)

But you can see this (I hope) by hitting 'e' at boot time, assuming you
get as far as the grub countdown/menu.

How many disks do you have in the box and what's your partitioning scheme?

> This is the same *exact* system that was working with Core 6, all I did
> was install over the old version (except for "/home" and a storage
> partition.)
>
> I'm using X86_64 where before I was using i386, but that shouldn't
> matter, should it?

nope

> All data drives are IDE/PATA, but I'm installing off a SATA DVD ROM.

okay, how many are there? And which one do you want to boot from?

> HELP!!! I need to get this up and running as it's my primary desktop
> machine. I am stuck using my wife's XP box until I can get it back up
> and running! :-(

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.