can't log in after converting root filesystem

Gustavo Eli gustavoeli at unixdata.org
Sat Jan 3 20:15:54 UTC 2009

I hope it works.

You use a livecd and in the terminal:

/dev/sda1 = / (your linux, as appropriate)

Example:

fsck /dev/sda1

mount /dev/sda1 /media/linux

chroot /media/linux

source /etc/profile

And change the password:

passwd

There is another way you can do in the event that the above does not work,
change the kernel version and so on ...

grub edit> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9.42.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet 1

Press Enter, and the B, mode single-kernel boot. Once we can use the
passwd command to change the password for the root.

Passwd #
Enter new UNIX password:

Gustavo Eli Pelcastre H.