Problem with xorg evdev mouse in newer kernels

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Mon Jan 5 09:45:34 UTC 2009

   I first noticed this a while back, and it caused me to hold on to an
older kernel for a while, but I've since had to move on for other reasons,
so I've got to tackle this now.

   I have a Logitech MX-3000 wireless keyboard/mouse.  The mouse has a no.
of buttons on the side, and a scroll wheel that also nudges left and right
(to horiz. scroll).  I'd managed to get this mostly working using an evdev
config. in xorg.conf, but as of, I think, kernel 2.6.25 this hasn't been
working (still true in latest).  I'm on F8 still, ATM, looking to jump to
F10, but I don't expect a fix there.

   I did test that *only* switching the kernel made the difference (by
rebooting/reselecting).  Essentially, the no. of working buttons dropped.

   I've since managed to tweak it so that I can get most of the actual
buttons back, but the wheel-nudge isn't generating anything (xev).

   What should I be looking at?  Is evdev not the correct way to go?  Using
the older "ExplorerPS/2" setting doesn't even seem to give me as many
buttons as I can now get via evdev.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature