Solved Re: Problem using RTL formatting in openoffice.org writer

Shahab Shahasavari Alavidjeh zzgraph at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 20:05:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 09:48 -0700, stan wrote:
> Shahab Shahasavari Alavidjeh wrote:
> > hi list
> > I can't add RTL LTR formatting icon in my openoffice.org writer
> > formatting toolbar.
> > This problem is there since FC6 but i used to work with abiword. now i
> > need functionality of openoffice writer. everytime I must use abiword to
> > create documents and then open it in openoffice.
> > the official build of from openoffice.org doesn't work either. It
> > complains lack of GLIBCXX that is already installed.
> > I appreciate if there's any advice or solution.
> > thanks
> >
> I'm running F10 x86_64.  I went to the open office help, did a search on right to left,
>   and found the following:
>
> Currently, OpenOffice.org supports Hindi, Thai, Hebrew, and Arabic as CTL languages.
> If you select the text flow from right to left, embedded Western text still runs from left to right. The cursor responds
> to the arrow keys in that Right Arrow moves it "to the text end" and Left Arrow "to the text start".
> You can change the text writing direction directly be pressing one of the following keys:
> Ctrl+Shift+D or Ctrl+Right Shift Key - switch to right-to-left text entry
> Ctrl+Shift+A or Ctrl+Left Shift Key - switch to left-to-right text entry
> The modifier-only key combinations only work when CTL support is enabled.
> In multicolumn pages, sections or frames that are formatted with text flow from right to left, the first column is the
> right column and the last column is the left column.
>
> I didn't try it as I don't know how to use any of those languages, but it
> seems to suggest that it is possible and supported in OO 3.

thanx for solution i tried it but i find that problem was somewhere
else. CTL (Complex Text Layout) language support is not enabled by
default in openoffice and i didn't know. that was not a problem of
Fedora or openoffice.org. to enable it i just go to:
Tools > Options > Language Settings > Language
and mark Enabled for complex text layout (CTL)