USB stick with ext2?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jan 6 06:18:45 UTC 2009

Alan Evans wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> When I insert a USB thumb drive formatted with vfat, it gets
> automagically mounted under /media with appropriate permissions so the
> logged in user can write to the device. But if the thumb drive is
> formatted ext2, only root can write to it.
>
> $ mount
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/Devel type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)
> /dev/sdc1 on /media/disk type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=500)
> $ ll
> total 20
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 2009-01-05 21:27 Devel
> drwxr-xr-x 3 alan root 16384 1969-12-31 16:00 disk
>
> Is there a way to make that work?

With the USB mounted become root....  Then "chown alan /media/disk".
The ownership information is maintained in the ext2 structure.  So, the
next time it is mounted it will retain ownership by alan.

--
Not SENSUOUS ... only "FROLICSOME" ... and in need of DENTAL WORK ... in
PAIN!!! Mei-Mei.Greshko at greshko.com
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSz_koUhSg