Strange MTU-ish problem

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jan 6 11:48:58 UTC 2009

Maurizio Marini wrote:

> it's a known problem
> http://forum.ubuntu-it.org/index.php?topic=235535.msg1625049
>
> i have appended in sysctl.conf
> net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0

Thanks very much.
Molto grazie.
That seems to have solved the problem for me.

It's strange that WiFi works fine with this router under Windows
(XP and Vista), but requires this under Linux.

Since the only reports of the problem seem to have been from Italy
I assume that the software setup on Alice (Telecom Italia) broadband
is the cause of the problem.
As far as I can see one has very little control over the router -
eg I was unable to change the WPA-PSK key.

[I was wondering if that was part of the new security paranoia,
to allow Them to break into my computer;
or is that paranoia on my part?]