Network interfaces refusing to start on boot: F10

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Jan 6 16:30:40 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 09:11:16 -0500
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> So, what's the deal?
>
> The new default is NetworkManager. If you want networking to
> behave exactly like it always used to, then you need to:
>
> chkconfig --level 2345 NetworkManager off
> chkconfig --level 2345 network on
>
> That gets back the old network interface which is willing
> to start interfaces at boot time.

Okay, so explain this to me.  Why, in system-config-network, when I look
at the interfaces does the box labeled 'Have Network Manager control
Interface' (Or whatever it says, I'm not near my systems now) unchecked?
  If NM controls them, shouldn't that box be checked?  I mean, why offer
the options in 's-c-n' if they aren't going to be implemented?

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support