Upgrade Has Caused A Downgrade

Gene Poole gene.poole at macys.com
Tue Jan 6 15:52:30 UTC 2009

a) When you say "upgrade", do you mean telling Anaconda to upgrade an
existing
installation?  Anaconda doesn't have logic to handle migrating from i386
x86_64, so it's not expected to work.  Upgrading from F8 i386 to F9 i386
or F10
i386 generally should work.  If you want to switch architectures, you need
fresh install.

I attempted to upgrade from Fedora 8 x86_64 to Fedora 9 x86_64 - which
failed at the point where the new packages were being installed.

b) You haven't given us any diagnostic information at all.  F9 and F10
wouldn't
have been released if x86_64 builds routinely failed to install, and
there's
nothing exotic about your hardware, so it's highly unlikely that anyone is
going
to immediately know what's wrong with your setup.  Please at least give us
an
error message or something.

There is no diagnostic information from the initial install because it was
a 'bare metal' install. I didn't retain and logs or other diagnostic
information from the upgrade attempt because the machine would not boot
because the primary OS file systems (/; /boot; /usr) were not fully
populated with the Fedora 9 software - but - the Fedora 8 software was no
longer at a point where it would boot.

Thanks,
Gene Poole