Setting SELinux for vsftpd

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Jan 6 18:32:07 UTC 2009

I've got a server that we use to do speed testing of our upstreams (and
customers links) using FTP.  This is a fresh F10 install and I'm getting
what seems to be a very common selinux ftp error (226 Failed to open
directory). I've googled up a couple of forum posts on how to fix it,
but most say just to disable selinux.  That I'd not like to do.
However, one of the options says to do this:

setsebool -P ftpd_disable_trans 1

But I get an error:

[root at noc5 speedtest]# setsebool -P ftpd_disable_trans 1
libsemanage.dbase_llist_set: record not found in the database
libsemanage.dbase_llist_set: could not set record value
Could not change boolean ftpd_disable_trans
Could not change policy booleans

I have seen the GUI method of doing this, but since I don't run X on
this server that's not much help.  What's the correct method of setting
selinux up for this?

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support