Multiple windows on a window with KDE 4.x ? (1x24" display or 2x20" displays... )

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jan 6 21:03:39 UTC 2009

Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I'm wondering if its possible to have 2 windows in a single display
> under KDE4.x  Is there a way to set half the display up to be one window
> and half to be another window ?  With a 1920x1200 display, each window
> could be 960x1200.

Well, you can just adjust the window width with the mouse. Maximize the
windows, then resize them, one from the right, one from the left. They'll
snap together.

But if you want KWin to automatically tile your windows, then no, as far as
I know it currently can't do that. There are specialized window managers
which work that way, but they won't integrate as well into KDE as KWin
does. And strict automatic tiling also has its drawbacks, e.g. dialog boxes
get a size forced on them which they aren't necessarily designed for.

        Kevin Kofler