Network interfaces refusing to start on boot: F10

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Jan 6 21:55:32 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:55:16 -0700
> Phil Meyer wrote:
>

>> For the vast majority of installs, NetworkManager is a blessing.
>>

> What you mean is for the vast majority of installs on laptops
> owned by folks who flit from one hotspot to another. I certainly
> have no idea if that is the same as vast majority of fedora
> installs (nor do I have any idea how to find out).

Let me refine my statement.

I personally install as many as 20 Linux systems a week, on all kinds of
hardware, for both home and business users, as well as servers.  Many of
those are 'lab' installs, but my 'lab' changes daily. :)

For all but the servers, NetworkManager has been made the default by my
custom installer since F8.  And since I am the 'support' person these
folks turn to, its been to my advantage.

It just works.

I learned early on to provide for wireless firmware issues, and have a
collection as part of my installer.  Besides that issue, F10, in
particular, has been rock solid on all systems installed and tested so
far, including a monster server utilized as a master VM.  The VM clients
are about 20% faster utilizing the improvements in KVM over the VMWare
that others use here.  I am looking forward to the changes coming for
KVM in a near kernel release.  It just gets better.

I personally have installed F10 on Dell mini-Inspirons (netbooks),
although for the majority of purchases, we ordered with Ubuntu and left
it on there -- let them call Dell instead of me; but it uses
NetworkManager, as well, and well.

Also included in my F10 install experience has been desktops and desktop
replacement notebooks.  My own desktop is a 17" laptop tethered to a 24"
monitor while at work.

In each case, except the servers, NetworkManager has been a blessing for
me, the sole support person (and I, as a large system UNIX admin, hate
doing PC support; maybe that is the real reason no-one calls me!), and
also, to the end user who does not need or want to understand
configuration files.

YMMV, as always.

Good Luck!