Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jan 7 04:27:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 20:50 -0600, David R Wilson wrote:
> Hello fellows,
>
> My .02 worth on several subjects.
>
> Network Manager since FC8 has been causing more grief to me than it is
> worth.  It looks like it needs to look at
> the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ files for eth0 and if it is there
> don't screw things up (or at least prompt before destruction).
----
NetworkManager intends to give 'userland' control over network
connections whether they are wired, wireless, VPN, etc. Users that are
accustomed to switching to superuser to manipulate things aren't likely
to appreciate the value of this whereas network administrators know that
these things are essential as they don't want users to have super user
powers.
----
> The startup screen with the travelling bars near the bottom of the
> screen is a waste of time.  There is a reason I want to see what the box
> is doing, and prefer the FC9 behavior.  With FC9 I could hit a key and
> watch for problems.  I didn't find any documentation on how to change
> that to the FC9 behavior.
----
turn it off...

edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove rhgb and quiet from the kernel boot
parameters
----
> Firefox refuses to handle a bad certificate.  That is all well and good,
> until your dealing with a firewall that doesn't have one that is valid.
> I didn't find a way to get beyond the complaint about the certificate.
> I had to grab my laptop with FC9 to deal with that problem.  FC10 made
> doing anything with the https interface impossible.
----
Firefox has made this a feature across the board and so FF 3 whether on
Windows, Linux or Macintosh will always throw this safety alert when
presented with certificates that are signed by untrusted authorities.

Most people actually read their options and figure this out. This isn't
a Fedora issue at all.

Since you are struggling with the whole concept, see this...

http://blog.ivanristic.com/2008/04/firefox-3-ssl-i.html

Craig