Installing Fedora 9 on an old dual xeon w/scsi

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Jan 7 09:17:42 UTC 2009

> So I downloaded the i386 dvd iso and burned it without issue.

That DVD should work.

> It gets a bit further in the vmlinuz, until you hit agpgart: Detected an
> intel
> i860 chipset, and then hangs (keyboard locked, 3 finger salute no worky)

That would be a bug.

> Now before I go and download another version, I need to know which
> version thatmight be if it isn't either one of the 2 I have already
> tried?  If the version isn't the problem, then what can I do/change
> about what I am doing to make this
> puppy fly?

The install guide has some suggestions on boot options you can try. It
may also be worth checking if any related hangs were fixed in updates -
if so then Fedora 10 or the Fedora 9 respins might work better. Offhand I
can't remember one, or a matching bug report but others may know.