Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

David R. Wilson david at wwns.com
Wed Jan 7 16:19:02 UTC 2009

Thanks,

I didn't go looking for grub documentation, that is helpful.

Since some of the boxes I administer are servers and dedicated to one
task or another I have mostly defeated NetworkManager.  I understand the
logic for it, I just find it evil more often than not.  Modifying
startup scripts has been easier for me.

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 21:27 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 20:50 -0600, David R Wilson wrote:
> > Hello fellows,
> >
> > My .02 worth on several subjects.
> >
> > Network Manager since FC8 has been causing more grief to me than it is
> > worth.  It looks like it needs to look at
> > the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ files for eth0 and if it is there
> > don't screw things up (or at least prompt before destruction).
> ----
> NetworkManager intends to give 'userland' control over network
> connections whether they are wired, wireless, VPN, etc. Users that are
> accustomed to switching to superuser to manipulate things aren't likely
> to appreciate the value of this whereas network administrators know that
> these things are essential as they don't want users to have super user
> powers.
> ----
> > The startup screen with the travelling bars near the bottom of the
> > screen is a waste of time.  There is a reason I want to see what the box
> > is doing, and prefer the FC9 behavior.  With FC9 I could hit a key and
> > watch for problems.  I didn't find any documentation on how to change
> > that to the FC9 behavior.
> ----
> turn it off...
>
> edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove rhgb and quiet from the kernel boot
> parameters
> ----
> > Firefox refuses to handle a bad certificate.  That is all well and good,
> > until your dealing with a firewall that doesn't have one that is valid.
> > I didn't find a way to get beyond the complaint about the certificate.
> > I had to grab my laptop with FC9 to deal with that problem.  FC10 made
> > doing anything with the https interface impossible.
> ----
> Firefox has made this a feature across the board and so FF 3 whether on
> Windows, Linux or Macintosh will always throw this safety alert when
> presented with certificates that are signed by untrusted authorities.
>
> Most people actually read their options and figure this out. This isn't
> a Fedora issue at all.

True.  I should have looked for a Firefox list.  I figured some of those
involved in that project were lurking here.