Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jan 7 16:43:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 10:19 -0600, David R. Wilson wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I didn't go looking for grub documentation, that is helpful.
>
> Since some of the boxes I administer are servers and dedicated to one
> task or another I have mostly defeated NetworkManager.  I understand the
> logic for it, I just find it evil more often than not.  Modifying
> startup scripts has been easier for me.
----
here's the thing...

many experienced Linux users are so accustomed to becoming superuser for
every thing that efforts to empower userland and lessen the need to
become superuser seem to be of little value to them.

Granted - for servers, there is little point to NetworkManager because
it's raison d'être is to serve userland and there is no real userland
for servers.

My understanding is that if you install from 'Live CD' or if you choose
DHCP for network configuration when installing from DVD, NetworkManager
is enabled, otherwise, it is not enabled. That seems to be very
reasonable logic from my standpoint but I can see that those who just
race/clickthrough the install figuring that they'll fix things after
first boot will get some surprises.

What I personally object to is knowing how much effort that some of the
developers have put into NetworkManager, that just calling it lame/evil
from the cheap seats does it a great disservice.

Craig