Ipod, what Fedora App. will sync with.

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Jan 7 19:10:41 UTC 2009

I wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> You can find SRPMS for those here, but I've only built these for
>> Fedora 10.  You're welcome to try rebuilding them for F8 but I can't
>> make any promises or offer tech support.  Caveat emptor!
>>
>> http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/packages/SRPMS/libgpod-0.7.0-0.1svn2184.fc10.src.rpm
>> http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/packages/SRPMS/gtkpod-0.99.13-0.1svn2184.fc10.src.rpm
>
> Hey, those are some fresh builds Paul! :)
>
> Perhaps it's better to build libgpod-0.7.0rc1 (which is just a little
> bit older, but upstream we'd like the testing).  I've built packages,
> but haven't put them up anywhere yet.  I'll have to build for x86_64
> and post them to my fedorapeople.org account.

Well, it was more than the few days I thought it would be, but I've
got builds of libgpod-0.7.0rc2, gtkpod-0.99.13SVN and rhythmbox for
F-9 and F-10 (i386 and x86_64) completed.  They're even in a yum repo,
for handy testing:

    http://tmz.fedorapeople.org/repo/libgpod/

Just grab the libgpod.repo file and put it in /etc/yum.repos.d, then
update or install libgpod, gtkpod or rhythmbox.  The packages are
signed with the same key I use to sign my mail.  Yum will prompt you
to install this key if you enable the above repository.  The key
fingerprint is 2067 23CE 8C4A 9D39 9FFF  B8E7 4325 938B BEAF 0CE3.

NOTE 1: These builds are only for folks wishing to test the libgpod
release candidates ad while I'm interested in reports of any problems,
I don't have the time to provide a lot of support.

NOTE 2: I have not built all of the things which require libgpod,
notably amarok is not built at this time.  If you use amarok or have
it installed, then you should NOT use the above repo.  (Also not
rebuilt are kipi-plugins, and, from rpmfusion, gnome-mplayer and
lastfm.)

If time permits, I'll hopefully get amarok and kipi-plugins added.

>> My rebuilt gtkpod thus far had the fewest problems, especially after
>> I read the included documentation in
>> /usr/share/gtkpod/doc/the-sysinfo-file.html.
>
> You really shouldn't have to do any of this manually.  If you do, then
> there's a bug with the libgpod HAL support.

And there was just such a bug!  Thanks to Paul for prodding, I've
fixed up the HAL callout in the 0.7.0rc2 packages so that it should
now actually run whenever an iPod is plugged in.

This exposed some SELinux denials, which are fixed for F-10 in
selinux-policy-3.5.13-38.fc10 (in updates-testing).  They are
scheduled to get added to the policy on F-9 as well, but I don't think
that's been committed to the selinux-policy package in CVS yet.  So on
F-9, you'd need to run in permissive mode when plugging in your iPod
for the first time to have the SysInfoExtended file setup.

Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing
nearly everything, money is handy.
    -- Groucho Marx