Python Guru needed

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 7 23:06:44 UTC 2009

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
>> FC 10/KDE
>>
>> I'm trying to set a simple Alarm Clock in FC10 and I have a Python
>> script I picked up, but I have error, running the script.
>> Can you explain to me with # comments on each line how to make this work.
>>
>> import time
>> import os
>>
>> not_executed = 1
>>
>> while(not_executed):
>> dt = list(time.localtime(time.time())
>> hour = dt[3]
>> minute = dt[4]
>> if hour == 5 and minute == 45:
>> os.popen2("open /Users/jun/shout.mp3")
>> not_executed = 0
>>

>> Error Message;
>>
>> $ python AlarmClock
>>  File "AlarmClock", line 7
>>    dt = list(time.localtime(time.time())
>>     ^
>> IndentationError: expected an indented block
>>

> It's because of Python's always charming significant whitespace.  I.E.
> Python uses indenting instead of braces, making problems like this
> extremely common.  (No sane language even has "IndentationErrors". Also,
> you were missing a paren, but that's not what caused the error above.
>
> A correct version is attached.  Hopefully it will not get mangled by
> your client.
>
> Matt Flaschen

I ran yo
$ python times.py
Welcome to the talking alarm clock
This program is public domain

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "times.py", line 1, in <module>
    import time
  File "/home/mickey/time.py", line 8, in <module>
    t = time.localtime(time.time())

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'localtime'

Python is having problems of execute this line.

t = time.localtime(time.time())