Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jan 8 15:51:10 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 16:40:07 -0500
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> If I get one that makes sense, then I might shut up
>> about this, otherwise, to me NM is just re-inventing the wheel to no
>> purpose.
>
> It isn't merely reinventing the wheel, it is replacing the wheel with
> some utterly incompatible object that sometimes serves a wheel-like
> function while not actually working with anything that previously
> used wheels without extensive mods to all the former users of wheels.
> And, while, they were at it, they also provide absolutely no
> documentation about how to use the new wheel-like functionality
> then claim anyone who can't get it to work is just a whiner.

I liked this analogy but I feel that Network Manager is just a different
type of wheel than a re-invention.  It is like comparing a tire for a
motorbike to that of a truck.  They both roll on the road but do it in
different ways.

I have installed F10 on two machines so far.  In one case, NM is being
used as the machine won't be on a network for 99.9% of the time.  The
other machine is on a full time network and requires full network access
before the login procedure.  On this machine, I turned off Network
Manager and use the normal network services.  It took about 30 seconds.

On a F7 laptop, Network Manager works great.  Can go from wired fixed IP
address to wireless DHCP address by unplugging the ethernet cable.  It
     is just that easy.

The only problem that I have run into regarding networking is ethernet
devices not being activated.

So far I find F10 to be be better than F8 on the same machine other than
sound but that is another subject.  :)

--
Robin Laing