kernel update last night overwrote my grub.conf

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 8 15:56:17 UTC 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 09:53:41 -0500, Gene wrote:
>> Also, a recent ntp update
>
>What "recent ntp update" do you refer to? Give version and release,
>please. Use details from "rpm -qa --last|grep ntp" and
>"grep ntp /var/log/yum.log"

Fedora 8, sorry.

[root at coyote etc]# rpm -qa --last|grep ntp
ntp-4.2.4p4-1.fc8                             Tue 18 Nov 2008 11:34:03 AM EST
[root at coyote etc]# grep ntp /var/log/yum.log
[root at coyote etc]#

I don't usually reboot this box unless I've built a new kernel, currently
running 2.6.28, but I rebooted to knoppmyth yesterday to see if the live
would work (it didn't, couldn't even ping localhost), and when I rebooted to
2.6.28 is when I found my grub.conf had been cleaned out too, by the kernel
rpm I'd let puplet install a couple of hours before.

I had posted to lkml in the slashdot new years eve crash thread, that
something had killed ntpd at or shortly before midnight GMT and I had to
restart it 3 days later.  Unforch the log is dated in uptime ticks, making it
difficult to translate to realtime, GMT or otherwise.  I think now that it
didn't restart after I'd built 2.6.28 and rebooted, which would have placed
it earlier in the week of new years.  With the missing link in /etc/rc3.d it
was never started.  The rcX.d links were and are still ok, and I have
restored the missing link in rc3.d now.

>From the above schedule dates, it looks as if my hard drive, a brand new
Seagate 500Gb sata is being forgetful.  And I expire my logwatch mail fairly
quickly so the yum records in the logwatch reports are gone in 15 days.  No
help there.

>There hasn't been any ntp update for Fedora 10 at all.
>And no ntp update either for Fedora 9 since October.
>
>> removed /etc/rc3.d/S58ntpd,
>
>It doesn't do that. Only upon unstalling the "ntp" package from your
>system, it also stops the service and removes the run-level symlinks.

I am sure it was there after the re-install on Nov 18th, and I'm the only
user, so that leaves the possibility that ext3 has done an ntfs on me, and
deleted a random file.  ntfs has that propensity, usually the most
important .dll on the system.  And M$ will NOT replace it by any means other
than buying and installing a fresh copy of ntfs, 3.51 or 4.0.  Been there
done that. 3 times even.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)