Ipod issues

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Jan 8 18:54:17 UTC 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009 18:05:28 Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >The iPod should be sent an eject rather than just a umount.  I'd say
> >if Dolphin isn't doing that, it's either a bug or user error (since I
> >don't know Dolphin, perhaps it's something you need to configure?).
> >Hopefully one of the many helpful KDE users/maintainers here can
> >clarify this.
>
> I will look into this then.

I don't have an ipod, but what usually happens is that when any external
storage device is plugged in you get a popup from the notifier widget in your
system tray - it only stays there for a few seconds, but you can click on the
widget to get it back.  There you will see a link to Open with Dolphin.  This
performs the mount.  I would think that the apps you talk about would require
it to be mounted.

There are two ways of dealing with the umount - you can either select the ipod
in the Places panel of dolphin, and right-click on it for Safely Remove, or
you can use the notifier again.  In the notifier, if you hover over the ipod
entry you will see an eject symbol at the right-hand side.  Click on that.
Both methods work the same way.

HTH

Anne