Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jan 8 19:50:57 UTC 2009

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>> Tom Horsley wrote:

>>> It isn't merely reinventing the wheel, it is replacing the wheel with
>>> some utterly incompatible object that sometimes serves a wheel-like
>>> function while not actually working with anything that previously
>>> used wheels without extensive mods to all the former users of wheels.
>>> And, while, they were at it, they also provide absolutely no
>>> documentation about how to use the new wheel-like functionality
>>> then claim anyone who can't get it to work is just a whiner.
>>>
>> No kidding.  Let me give just one more example. I installed F10 on
>> another laptop (mine).  It's a Compaq Dual core AMD X2 with 8GB RAM.  A
>> fresh install.  I booted into it after the install (and setting up my
>> network info (wired).  Logged in as myself.
>

> If you believe that this is something common, you really have no
> respect for the Fedora developers. I've installed Fedora 9/10 on
> several different machines now, and I have never needed to do more
> than plug in an ethernet cable to get wired working.
>
> So please have more respect for the Fedora developers and
> NetworkManager developers on this public forum. These guys have
> provided me with too much good software for me to standby have people
> needlessly disrespect their work.

I think the issue comes when you are not using DHCP as many do.  If over
the years, you have used setup scripts the NM default approach is a problem.

On this fresh install I had to setup my network info in NM at first.
Then I moved to network services and turned off NM.  A two step approach
to get back to the Old way.

As for network info, I found I had to edit the /etc/sysconfig/networking
manually because system-config-network kept corrupting the settings.  I
need to do some testing and file a bug report.

--
Robin Laing