Why Fedora 10 still uses openssl pkg from 2007, 4 releases old?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Fri Jan 9 09:43:20 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>> rpm -q --whatrequires openssl
>
> repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps openssl
>
> Not only does rpm -q only mention deps from packages you have installed, it
> also only checks deps on the package name, not on the library soname, which
> most deps are.
>
> So your question is not only hijacking a thread, but also stupid. (It's not
> getting updated because it'd break the entire f***ing distro, duh!)
>
>          Kevin Kofler

Kevin, thank for you explanation.

It's amazing - repoquery return over 500 packages, and although many
of whom are from one source rpm, it is still much more that
"rpm -q --whatrequires" list. And this list looks reputable.

About hijacking a thread I was already apologized, there wasn't any bad
intention from me.

I not think my question is stupid - when Fedora distro has been released
every half of year, then IMHO isn't big problem compile entire this
against actual openssl package - in Fedora 10 case against "openssl-0.9.8i".
And then I was understand when bugfixes from 0.9.8j to it.

And sorry for probable my other mistake - my "f*" should mean
"Fedora Core and consequent", there wasn't no "ing" at end of it.
One other justification for my bad English knowledge. Sorry.

Franta Hanzlík