Access to sub network unreachable.

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Fri Jan 9 11:30:36 UTC 2009

Simon Slater wrote:
> 	Hi all,
> 		I'm sure I have missed something simple (or done something stupid) but
> have no idea what so I'll ask anyhow.
>
> 	All the computers on our SOHO network had static addresses in the
> 192.168.0.1-9 range with netmask of 255.255.255.0 and all worked fine
> for ages.  Now I have a Linksys gateway which has a default address of
> 192.168.1.1 for configuration.  It works fine as a DSL router but I
> cannot use a browser to access the configuration.  All I get is "An
> error occurred while loading http://192.168.1.1: Could not connect to
> host."  Pinging returns "Destination Host Unreachable".
>
> 	I changed the netmask for the ethx device to 255.255.0.0 but this made
> no difference.  What have I forgotten?

This doesn't help as the linksys most probably has netmask of
255.255.255.0 what will help on the other hand is to make eth0:1
interface in which you will give ip-address in 192.168.1.0 network. For
example /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfc-eth0:1 could look like
this, if you are using NetworkManager there is probably some other way
of doing this, but as I use fedora for desktop so little I haven't
really checked it out.

DEVICE=eth0:1
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=192.168.1.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
TYPE=Ethernet

And then ifup eth0:1 (if it doesn't work service network restart will
for sure.)

Hope this helps,
Veli-Pekka