Mandatory Profile on Fedora 9

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 9 12:29:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 12:21 +0200, Bravismore Mumanyi wrote:
> Can someone help with how I can possibly go ahead and create a mandatory
> profile for a public user account. I am managing public computing in a
> library and would like users to use one common account. However, other
> tech-savy users delete shortcuts and menu items to confuse starters. I
> would therefore want to have this common account with preferences that
> no-one except 'root' can change.

There's several ways of making guest accounts.  One technique is to set
up a guest account how you want it, and that set-up will be stored.
Then whenever a guest logs in, they get a fresh login as predefined by
you.  And when they log out, it's deleted.  The next guest goes through
the same cycle (fresh settings applied to them, and removed as they log
out).  One of them was called xguest, I tried it out last year.

> If there is a way to automatically log-on the account on start-up?

That used to be easy, not sure how easily you can do that now, unless
you use KDM instead GDM.  But it wasn't really necessary with the one of
the guest set-ups, it gave them a password-less login.  They just
clicked on the guest user, and that was it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.