the ATI proprietary driver and F10

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 13:20:52 UTC 2009

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> Try:
> system-config-display --reconfig
>
> may help or it may not. Since I don't know what the proprietary
> drivers changed. I can't tell you if its going to do anything to fix

Just thought I would add my experience in here - I have a system on which I
used a normal F10 install and got graphics totally messed up with an Intel
82945G graphics chipset.  Once I had been able to get to boot to runlevel 3
I was totally unable to start x doing system-config-display --reconfig (and
of course system-config-display is not installed by default so you have to
install it via yum after the main install!)

I also saw that in this situation system-config-display --noui --reconfig
should work but in my case it refused to see the graphics card at all... so
in the end I decided to go back to the start and do a clean install from
scratch again, but this time used the "xdriver=vesa nomodeset" kernel option
both for the install, and also for firstboot - and then once firstboot was
complete I added these to the grub stanza so ensure that the vesa driver was
used subsequently during boot.

At present it seems like there is an awful lot of breakage in the intel
drivers and possibly the ATI drivers - and there is nothing more
disheartening than having a system that won't offer a graphical login even
if you know there are serious issues with the graphics drivers. Almost
anything else you can work around since you can get to a graphical desktop
and keep working on other stuff whilst you fix issues via the command line
in a terminal window.  By the way this is not specifically a Fedora problem
- this graphics driver pain is being felt by users of other major linux
distributions also - but it is certainly giving a bad smell to those who
have hardware that is affected by this.