powering off USB port after eject. was Re: Ipod issues

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Jan 9 15:20:54 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote, On 01/08/2009 10:39 PM:
> Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> The iPod should be sent an eject rather than just a umount.
>
> Well, really it's the iPod being weird. It doesn't make sense to "eject" a
> USB device.
>
> I'm pretty sure it's actually safe to disconnect the iPod once it is
> unmounted, even if the firmware doesn't understand this.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

On a somewhat related note...
Am I just working with too old a fedora here (F8, and no wise crack about it
being EOL) to see it, or has the Linux kernel still not started powering off
USB devices when 'ejected'?
when I 'safely remove' a USB stick from a windows 2K|XP machine it appears
that the power is removed from the the stick, i.e., the LED goes out and stays
out on the stick.
when I issue `eject` on a Linux machine the file system gets unmounted but the
device still appears powered.

Or is there just some trick that MS is playing with the devices that tells the
device 'shut off the LED'???

--
Todd Denniston