Grub and two distros

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 9 17:11:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 17:04 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I think I may have solved the mystery of my wireless problems - I'll report
> back in a few hours when I'm more sure.  Meanwhile, I'm now about to reinstall
> Fedora.  I'd like, if possible, to keep Linpus Lite, as I found that having
> the easy interface on the EeePC was very useful when strangers were curious
> about it.
>
> Linpus appears to be using about 8GB, so I figure that if I shrink its
> partition to 12GB that should be plenty for anything I'll ever need.  I'll
> then do a custom install of Fedora.  I've not done a dual install like this
> before (apart from windows dual-boot).  Can I expect that grub will recognise
> and set up the Linpus installation, or am I likely to have to do some jiggery-
> pokery to get things going?  If there are any problems I want to know about
> them before I start :-)
----
I gather that the best way to handle multiple linux distributions on the
same disk is for each distribution to have its own /boot and install
grub bootloader there and then use a plain grub bootloader in the mbr to
chain to the various other grubs.

This was covered about 3 months ago on the list.

Craig