Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:51:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> there's someone else besides me that needs a life   ;-)

Even better, I've written a shell script to screen scraper
dbus-monitor output and then send me a desktop notification over dbus
when there's an event i care about.

D-Bus is somewhat self documenting once you understand the paradigm.
You just have to understand it....and as a breed sysadmins only really
understand something by scripting it. We don't read API documentation.
 Right now D-Bus and its kin are aimed at application programers, with
a set of API documentation available on the net. Its exactly the sort
of documentation sysadmins do not want. its part of the paradigm shift
associated with D-Bus.

As sysadmins we need to start figuring out how to help get service
introspection implemented for anything d-bus capable so we can start
to learn how to fire-off interactions with custom scripted clients by
poking the bus and asking it questions about what methods and objects
services are providing without having to read API documentation.   I
continue to think there is something extremely valuable in what the
oddjob project attempts to do by making it easier to use D-Bus for
sysadmin oriented tasks. Oddjob might not be the right implementation,
but I think there is a kernel of goodness there in the approach for
sysadmins.