ntpd sync fails on boot

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Jan 9 20:21:42 UTC 2009

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote, On 01/09/2009 01:43 PM:
> On my FC7 system, on boot up:
>    ntpd: Synchronizing with time server:
> always fails.  However, after the boot,
> if I log on and restart ntpd, the sync
> always succeeds.
>
> I note that the time server it uses is
> "right next door", on my LAN on the same
> hub.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. (Yes I know
> FC7 is old; might that be the problem?)
>
> Mike.

any ntpd messages in /var/log/messages during boot? If ntpd detects what the
problem is, it often gives a clue there.

do you see any messages on boot where network is being delayed?

Is it only the ntpdate failing or is ntpd also not finding hosts on boot?
if only ntpdate, then I would suspect the /etc/ntp/ntpservers or
/etc/ntp/step-tickers to have a bad name.
if it is both ntpdate and ntpd failing, then I would suspect some problem with
DNS, but that usually leaves traces in /var/log/messages.

--
Todd Denniston