Grub and two distros

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 9 20:30:49 UTC 2009

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 23:00:16 -0400Craig White wrote:

>> Would you have a subject I could search for? The archives are prodigious.
>>
> ----
> google this...
>
> site:www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list F8/F9 Multiboot question

it is from august, 2008. this is what i have on this install. do not have
original. may have been an html.

+++
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 23:00:16 -0400

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:47:13 -0700
Dan Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com> wrote:

>> Does anyone have any advice in how to do this up properly?

chainloader is what I use. I've got a partition with nothing
but grub on it (used to be a /boot partition for an old
fedora, and I kept it around to just use for grub), and a
grub.conf file that looks like:

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/zooty.xpm.gz
title Fedora 8 x86_64
	rootnoverify (hd0,2)
	chainloader +1
title Fedora 8 i386
	rootnoverify (hd0,7)
	chainloader +1
title Fedora 9 x86_64
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1
title Fedora 9 i386
	rootnoverify (hd0,4)
	chainloader +1

In my case the different hats are all on one disk, and I tell
the installer to install each system's grub in the boot partition
rather than the MBR, but I think chainloading can cross disks
as well with suitable modification of the rootnoverify gibberish.

The beauty of this scheme is that kernel updates all just work.
I don't have to fix anything after updating any kernel in any
partition.
+++

i am showing 21 post from 08/02/2008 03:00am to 08/12/2008 01:36am

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****