best video card for fedora 10

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 9 23:53:20 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 10:15:48 AM, Leslie wrote:
> ATI and Nvidia cannot match what Intel provides in terms of video drivers.
> Video using Intel is flawless. Cannot say the same for the other two.

> Leslie

Leslie,
Intel  video  is  hardly  flawless.  An update in early December has
totally  broken  many F10 users of the Intel driver (especially on Dell
systems, myself included), so they are dead in the water for GUI mode.
This is across all Linux distributions using driver/kernels since about
mid-late November.

If you check other postings to this mailing list, you will see that the
Intel driver is being rewritten, ETA sometime in 2009.  Drivers do not
get rewritten for the heck of it.  In the meantime, fixing the existing
driver has become a low priority - unfortunate but understandable.

Al
--- On Mon, 1/5/09, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak <mjc at avtechpulse.com> wrote:
Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Stick with the motherboard's onboard Intel graphics. Supports 3D and
> works great on the modern desktop. No proprietary drivers required.
> Just install system and go!

Unless  you  have one of the new systems like the HP DC7900, which has
Intel graphics and a DisplayPort connector... and no other video connectors...
DisplayPort is not yet supported by the intel driver, at all.

I slapped in an ATI card to gain a DVI port, and used the open driver. Works
fine now.
- Mike