ntpd sync fails on boot

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Sat Jan 10 01:05:42 UTC 2009

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 23:57:02 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 16:38:23 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>> as root...
>>> # fixfiles onboot
>>> # shutdown now -r
> [...]
>
> fixfiles onreboot is not available on my fixfiles.

"fixfiles onboot" not "fixfiles onreboot"

> I did: fixfiles restore
> and then rebooted.  It cleaned up the log some,
> but the failure persists.
>
> boot messages excerpt:
>
> Jan  9 19:12:16 mbrc32 hpiod: 1.7.4a accepting connections at 2208...
> Jan  9 19:12:17 mbrc32 ntpdate[2220]: sendto(mbrc21): Operation not
> permitted

The fact that you can start it once you're logged in really states that
the network is not running before at boot which is a classic NM thing.
I know this was discussed earlier in the thread, but are you REALLY sure
the network is up?

When you boot up and BEFORE you log into the GUI, can you log in as
root on a text console (press CTRL-ALT-F2 and log in as root) and
do an "ifconfig" to verify eth0 is up and has an IP on it?  If not, then
as the MythBusters would say, "THERE'S your problem!" and you either
will have to always start ntpd after you log in or abandon NM and go
back to the older network startup mechanism.  Don't try to use both...
they don't play nice with each other.

To go back to the GUI, press ALT-F1.
-              Never eat anything larger than your head              -