Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

McGuffey, David C. DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY at saic.com
Mon Jan 12 17:36:47 UTC 2009

> SNIP

> >> I think the issue comes when you are not using DHCP as many do.  If

> over the

> >> years, you have used setup scripts the NM default approach is a

> problem.

> >> On this fresh install I had to setup my network info in NM at
first.

> Then I

> >> moved to network services and turned off NM.  A two step approach

> get

> >> back to the Old way.

> >> As for network info, I found I had to edit the

> /etc/sysconfig/networking

> >> manually because system-config-network kept corrupting the
settings.  I

> need

> >> to do some testing and file a bug report.

> > On my desktop, I have DHCP available, but i use a static IP.

> > All I did was use sytem-config-network, and check 'start on boot'
and

> > uncheck 'controlled by NM'. Does this not work for you guys?

> I don't have access to DHCP over the wire (YET) but

> system-config-network didn't work for me.  It wouldn't save the proper

> netmask and kept creating it's own.  Both here at work and at home.

> As I said, I have to file a bug report.  Still trying to get caught up

> on email and  work from two weeks off for Xmas.

I almost hate to bring this topic up again because it was beaten to
death earlier.  However...I'm having a problem with NetworkManager
scribbling a bizarre netmask into my *SUPPOSEDLY* static address info
for eth0.

I get it configured, and it works for a while, then I end up with dns
lookup failures.  When I go to NetworkManager I find it has duplicated
the gateway address (192.168.1.1) into the netmask entry also.

Getting static addressing to work under NetworkManager has been nothing
short of a hair-pulling experience.  The folks working NetworkManager
need to understand that not *ALL* linux boxes will travel...some are
single-purpose boxes on networks that have a security policy that
mandates static addressing.  When one checks the static address button,
NetworkManager must absolutely stop scribbling in places it
shouldn't!!!!

Dave McGuffey

Principal Information System Security Engineer // NSA-IEM, NSA-IAM

SAIC, IISBU, Columbia, MD