Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Jan 12 19:33:58 UTC 2009

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>>> And choosing 'enable on boot' in system-config-network doesn't do that?
>>>
>> No.  It does not.  Period.  Even setting that option doesn't do it.
>> Even though the interface says it is not 'managed by NM'.
>
> I assure you it does. I have NetworkManager eabled. I never have to
> log into KDE to have my network working, and I would know, as I have
> mythbackend running on my desktop, and mysql-server on another
> machine, so if the network isn't working without logging in, I would
> be screwed.

Okay, let me rephrase.  It does not simply by checking that box.
Network has to be running too, and not NM.

Regardless, I find the fact that I HAVE to do that on my static systems
(servers, et al.) a completely unnecessary task.  I don't see why it's
that hard to setup a new option in the setup that allows you to
configure that during installation/upgrade.

I can't understand why this isn't an option now.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support