FC9 for a ASUS Eee 700

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Jan 12 20:02:43 UTC 2009

Alan Evans wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> Is FC9 the way to go, or should I take the dive with FC10?  What are others
>> running on their Eee?
>>

> I installed F10 (actually, the Omega spin) on my 900A and I'm
> extremely pleased. I did a few customizations, such as mounting /tmp
> in RAM. But overall it just worked.

How? Instructions please? Of course I need more memory for that...

> I think your RAM is a bit tight, so you might want to replace that. I
> ordered a 2GB SODIMM to replace the 1GB that came with my Eee. (In
> fact, that means that I'm about to have a spare 1GB stick, if your
> interested...)
>
> I went with no swap at all. The thing boots fast enough that I'm not
> really interested in hibernation.

I might have a lot open, and want the option of picking up where I left
off. Like I had to use the facilities on the plane, and don't want to
run the battery down... (or even while eating a meal on a transatlantic).

What did you do for /var/log?

Any other (like /var/run, but that looks 'complicated')?