rsync help

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 12 20:46:56 UTC 2009

On 12Jan2009 11:48, Joseph L. Casale <JCasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
| >You can look at convmv (http://www.j3e.de/linux/convmv/ (see the man
| >directory for basic documentation).
|
| I was hoping to not do this, I need an exact copy. Is this a limitation
| involved in the file systems being used (ntfs) or rsync?

It may be to do with the CIFS mount options (and for extra fun, I guess
the USB drive's mount options). Can you provide a bit more information
about the USB mount, and exactly what sort of failure rsync produces?

Also, have a look at "man 8 mount", which says:

  Mount options for ntfs
    iocharset=name
      Character  set  to  use when returning file names.  Unlike VFAT, NTFS
      suppresses names  that  contain  unconvertible characters. Deprecated.

    nls=name
      New name for the option earlier called iocharset.

    utf8
      Use UTF-8 for converting file names.

and the corresponding stuff for the CIFS mount. It is necessary that the
characters on the source directory be expressible on the target
directory.

If you hit a dead end here (on this list) there are always the rsync
lists:
  http://rsync.samba.org/lists.html

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Your modesty is typically human, so I will overlook it. - a Klingon